According to Biographical & Historical Memoirs of Mississippi (Vol. I) (Chicago - The Goodspeed Publishing Co. 1891 / John Morris Co. - Printers, Chicago, pp. 227-8), "Leake County was established December 25, 1833 and named in honor of Governor [Walter] Leake. It is in townships nine, ten, eleven and twelve north, and ranges six, seven, eight and nine east of the Choctaw meridian. The total area is five hundred and sixty square miles.
"Among the white pioneers were Henry Harper, who was elected first representative; Judge John WIlliams, John D. Boyd (served as state senator and died while a member at Jackson of small-pox, January, 1844); Patrick Sharkey, Thomas Harris, Isom Daniel, J. E. Allen, J. M. Hooper (who built the first courthouse - built of pine poles with bark on), William Gordon, Edmond Hamilton, Elias Bennett, Uriah Babbett, Judge W. W. Arnett, Joshua Parker, Barry W. Johnson, Rev. Elijah Willbanks (of Princetown Baptist church), Benjamin F. Watkins and Abram Buford.
"The first officers were elected April 10, 1834; Cullen C. Arnett was elected first sheriff, Levi J. Eastman, probate clerk; Nathan Warren, assessor and collector of taxes; John D. Boyd, president of the board of police, called the first meeting for June 19, 1834, when James Pruett, Isaac Wells, Richard H. Walker and Edward Branch, members, were present. The county seat was then called Leake[s]ville, but on July 31, that year, the present name, Carthage was adopted.
"The regular election was held in November, 1835, when John C. Arnett was elected probate clerk; John Anderson, assessor and collector; Lewis Henning, treasurer; Benjamin Enlow, sheriff; Edwin Fox, judge of probate; John D. Boyd, president of board of police jurors."
Post offices in 1891 included Carthage, Conway, Coosa, Dossville, Edinburg, Estesmill, Freeny, Freetrade, Good Hope, High Hill, Lameta, Lena, Madden, Marydell, Ofahoma, Palona, Renfroe, St. Anne, Standing Pine, Thomastown, Tuscola, Walnut Grove, Williston and Yorka. I believe that the only ones still in existance today are Carthage, Lena, Madden, Ofahoma and Walnut Grove. [Jimmy Sikes tells us that the Edinburg Post Office still exists today in the Phillips Best Way there at the corner of Highway 16 and Marydell Road.]
(ibid, p 1107) "Hon. Walter Leake was born in Virginia, came early to Mississippi terrirory and in 1817, was chosen one of the first members of congress from the new state, serving until 1820. Soon after that date he was appointed judge of the curcuit court. In 1822 he was elected governor. Upon the expiration of his term he resumed the practice of his profession.
The book also notes that "Walter P. Leak, merchant and farmer of Ashland, Benton County, Miss., is a native of Little Rock, Ark., his birth having occurred there during a short residence of his parents in that state. He married Miss Fannie Dupuy McDonald, March 4, 1884, and had two children born as follows: W. Arnold Leak, February 8, 1887, and Kinneth Leak, February 4, 1890. His father, W. John Leak, was born in Rockingham, N.C., in 1834, but came with his parents to Tippah County, Miss., at an early date. He then selected planting as his occupation in life, and before the war was the owner of a great deal of land and many slaves. He also dealt largely in real estate. He was kindhearted and liberal, a loving husband and father, and a conscientious Christian. He was an invalid many years prior to his death. His father, Francis T. Leak, was also a native of the Old North state, but came to northern Mississippi soon after its settlement by the whites, and became one of the most extensive planters and slaveowners there. He supported the cause of the South during the Civil war, and spent thousands of dollars while upholding what he considered its best interests. He was highly educated, and was a man of strong force of character. He was an ardent member of the Methodist Episcopal church, and his hands were ready and open for the relief of suffering humanity. He died in the year 1863."Another history of Leake County is from the Mississippi The Heart of the South - By Dunbar Rowland, LL.D. History of Walnut Grove
Bruce Reeves / 809 N. 10th St. #769 / McAllen, TX 78501
This page was last updated on Tuesday, 17-Sep-2013 14:36:49 EDT
©1997-2013 Bruce Reeves